Message from the Superintendent
August 5, 2020 Update
Vestavia Hills City Schools has updated its reopening plan in preparation for the first day of school for all PreK-12 students on Thursday, August 20. The full plan can be viewed by clicking here.
The updates to the reopening plan include:
- Page 8: Changes to the remote instructional model content providers (Edgenuity, Accelerate Education, TeachTown and Unique Learning) that was released last week
- Page 10: Alternating day schedule (Blue and Red days) for students in grades 6-12
- Page 11: Daily symptom checklist link for parents and staff
- Page 11: Face coverings/masks requirements for all students and staff in VHCS
- Page 12: Attendance procedures for students/staff who test positive for COVID-19 or have had close contact with someone who is positive
- Page 12: Procedures for how students/staff will be informed of close contact or potential exposure of someone with a positive COVID-19 diagnosis
- Page 14: Enhancements to facility procedures and precautions
- Page 15: Enhancements to classroom procedures and precautions
- Page 17: Procedures for lunch service for traditional and remote students
Please take a moment to read through these important updates. One important reminder is that each school has a nurse who serves as the point of contact for questions related to the COVID-19 virus. The school system Nurse Administrator, Mrs. Brenda Seale, is the district contact who will coordinate efforts with our school nurses and administrators related to diagnosis, exposure, and reporting of the COVID-19 virus.
During the week of August 10, parents of remote learners will begin receiving more specific information including orientations, pickup schedules for Chromebooks and supplies, and breakfast/lunch options. Parents of students in the traditional model will receive school-specific information about Meet the Teacher Nights and many other important details. VHCS will also begin sending important reminders about 4Habits 4Health, guidelines for exposures and contact tracing, and EDP registration.
Dr. Todd Freeman
Vestavia Hills City Schools
July 16, 2020
Original Reopening Plan announced
August 4, 2020
Deadline to select Remote Learning Model
August 5, 2020
Updated Reopening Plan Announced
August 7, 2020
First day for teachers
Week of August 10, 2020
Schools begin communication regarding orientations, pickup of Chromebooks and supplies, and other school-specific information
August 20, 2020
First day for students
Grades 6-12 begin Alternating Day Schedule
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a new virus. The disease causes respiratory illness with symptoms such as a cough, fever, and in more severe cases, difficulty breathing. You can protect yourself by washing your hands frequently, avoiding touching your face, and avoiding close contact (at least 6 feet) with people who are unwell. For more information on symptoms of coronavirus and risk mitigation, visit the CDC Coronavirus website.
Alternating Day Schedule for Grades 6-12 (First Nine Weeks)