World Language Honor Societies
At Vestavia Hills High School, we are proud to have 4 active local chapters of the following national world language honor societies:
- French Honor Society - Société Honoraire de Français
- German Honor Society - Delta Phi Alpha
- National Junior Classical League (NJCL) Latin Honor Society
- Spanish Honor Society - Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica
These honor societies aim to recognize and reward student achievement in his/her language study, to promote the study of the languages and cultures represented, and to encourage student leadership, character, and service in the school and community. Induction into these honor societies shows potential colleges and employers that students have challenged themselves and succeeded at a high level in his/her language studies.
Students must meet minimum national requirements (in addition to any requirements set by local chapters). At Vestavia Hills High School, we begin inducting students in the fall of his/her level 3 year in the language of study. We believe that students should be pursuing study of a language at an honors level to truly demonstrate the scholarship and commitment necessary for induction.
In order to be eligible for induction, students must meet the following requirements:
- Students must attain a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.6 or higher in his/her language study. (for level 3 students: a minimum of 3 semester A’s and 1 semester B; for level 4 students: a minimum of 4 semester A’s and 2 semester B’s)
- Students must not have any Class II offense or above on his/her record.
- Students must show commitment to the study of the language by being in a level 3 or higher course.
*Students selected for membership in the World Language Honor Societies may be dismissed for failing to maintain the standards above.