2021-22 Health and Wellness Plan
Note: This plan is subject to change.
Updated January 6, 2022
- Home- Parents and VHCS staff are encouraged to check their students or themselves for symptoms of sickness at home before they attend school/work. Parents are encouraged to keep students home if they are sick or running a fever.
- Hands- Use best practices to wash or sanitize hands.
- Head- Face masks are optional for staff, students, and visitors.
- Hygiene- Cover mouth when you cough and nose when you sneeze. Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth.
Notification of exposure
- Parents will be notified if their student has a known exposure to a person with a positive COVID-19 diagnosis. Students receiving an exposure letter do not have to stay home unless they are positive, have symptoms, or are otherwise sick. Public health officials are responsible for contact tracing and determining quarantines.
- COVID-19 is considered a notifiable disease. The school nurse will report known positive COVID-19 virus cases of students/staff to the Alabama Department of Public Health.
- Students/staff with the COVID-19 virus or exposure to someone with the COVID-19 virus should report it to the school nurse or their physician.
- IF YOU TEST POSITIVE FOR COVID-19:
- Stay home for 5 days, regardless of your vaccination status.
- If you have no symptoms, or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you may return to school.
- Continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
- If you have a fever, continue to stay at home until your fever is gone without the use of fever-reducing medication.
- IF YOU WERE EXPOSED TO SOMEONE WITH COVID-19 OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL:
- Stay home for 5 days unless you are fully vaccinated (at least 2 doses of vaccine) and have no symptoms or have had COVID in the last 90 days.
- If unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated, count 5 full days before returning to school. Plan to mask for the last 5 days of time. If symptoms start, then test.
- If you become symptomatic while at school, go home and get tested for COVID-19.
- Buildings will be cleaned and disinfected on a routine basis using industry standard practices.
- Soap dispensers are located in bathrooms.
- Hand sanitizer stations are located throughout the building.
- Heating, Air Conditioning, and Ventilation (HVAC) systems will promote the safe circulation rate of outside air where applicable. HVAC systems will have routine changing of high efficiency filters (Merv-10 and 11 rated).
- Enhanced ventilation measures are installed on HVAC systems where applicable to complement high efficiency filters and minimize harmful particulates in the air.
Student Attendance and Absences
- Attendance requirements are defined in the Parent-Student Handbook.
Employee Attendance and Leave
Classrooms, Libraries, Gyms, Instructional and Counseling Offices, and Outdoor Play
- Routine use of all facilities will be in place.
- Classroom seating assignments will be kept on record by the teacher.
Locker Rooms and Lockers
- Lockers and locker rooms will be available for use by students.
- Locker assignments will be kept on record by the teacher.
Field Trips, Assemblies, Clubs and Meetings
- Activities may resume and routine procedures will be observed. All trips are subject to be changed based on current conditions.
Arrival and Dismissal
- Schools will announce arrival and dismissal procedures prior to school starting.
- Drills will take place in compliance with all legal requirements.
Child Nutrition Program
- Precautions training is required for all child nutrition employees.
- Reduced occupancy in the cafeteria will be observed effective 1/5/2022. Visitors will not be able to join students during lunch.
- Parents are encouraged to use PayPAMS for payments of miscellaneous purchases.
Extracurricular Activities, Competitions and Concessions
- All school and after school activities may resume.
- Routine procedures for cleaning and disinfecting will be in place.
Visitors, Contract Services, Vendors, and Volunteers
- Routine check-in procedures are in place for all schools.
- Symptom check verification from each visitor/vendor/volunteer/contractor will be required.