Excellence in Vestavia Hills
The following list was compiled by Vestavia Hills High School and read by Superintendent Todd Freeman, Ed.D., at the Class of 2018 Commencement Ceremony on May 22, 2018.
Excellence in Vestavia
2017 - 2018
· 222 seniors will graduate with Advanced Academic Honors Endorsement
· 82% going to four-year colleges
· 9% going to two-year colleges
· 9% entering military, working full-time, or taking a “gap year”
· 22% will enroll in 64 different colleges in 24 states outside of Alabama
· Those staying in Alabama will enroll in 20 different colleges and universities
· 12 National Merit Finalists
· 13 National Merit Commended Students
· 1 - U.S. Presidential Scholar
· 1 - Coca Cola Scholar
· 1 - Bill and Melinda Gates Scholar
· 59% of the graduates were offered scholarships. The amount offered is more than $32 million dollars (most in school history) and the amount accepted is more than $13 million (also the most in school history).
· The “We the People” Team won the district and state competition (for the 14th year in a row).
· Speech and Debate state champions
· All three math teams, again, won their state competition. They won a tournament in Tennessee, and they won four tournaments in Georgia, including the University of Georgia and Columbus State University tournaments. Additionally, they placed first in the nation in two competitions.
· 1,232 Advanced Placement Exams were administered to 491 students
. Honor Choir, Men's Choir, Women's Ensemble and Just Singin' placed 1st in their divisions at the National Peanut Festival Choral Festival.
- AcaFellas, Women's Advanced and Show Choir placed 2nd in their divisions at the National Peanut Festival Choral Festival.
- Women's Glee placed 3rd in their division at the National Peanut Festival Choral Festival.
- Hannah Bogard was selected as Alabama's District III Outstanding Choral Student.
- Honor Choir, Show Choir, Men's Choir/AcaFellas, Women's Advanced/Women's Ensemble and Women's Glee/Women's Ensemble all received superior ratings at State Assessment.
- Show Choir competed at the Capital City Classic and received 2nd Runner-Up and Best Show Design; at the South-Central Classic, they received Grand Champion, Best Vocals, Best Visuals and Best Overall Effect.
- Just Singin' and Show Choir both competed at the Contempo Choral Festival and received superior ratings. Honor Choir was invited to be the featured choir for the 2018 UAB Honor Choir.
-16 of 24 teams qualified for state playoffs
-2 Team State Championship (Girls Soccer and Cheer)
-5 State Runner-ups (Boys Bowling, Boys Indoor Track, Boys Tennis, Girls Tennis, Boys Soccer)
- Individual State Champions
• James Sweeney- Cross Country, 1600-meter Indoor Track, & 3200- meter Indoor Track
• Carl Nesbitt - High Jump - Indoor Track
• Spencer Haddox - Wrestling - 182 Pound
• Ethan Strand - Track – 1600m & 3200m
• 16 Athletes will continue to play in college
· The students of Vestavia Hills High School raised over $250,000 this year for cancer research. Proceeds went to two charities - The Children’s Hospital Oncology Department and The American Cancer Society.
· $56,000 raised for the Bell Center during the Fall Charity
· We collected over 20,000 cans during the canned food drive
· Habitat for Humanity funded and built their thirteenth house
· Four seniors received the Presidential Volunteer Service Award. Three at the bronze level for 100+ hours of service and one at the gold level for 250+ hours of service.
This is just a sample of many more activities related to community service that occur throughout Vestavia Hills High School.