Excellence in Vestavia Hills: 2019
Excellence in Vestavia, 2018 - 2019
222 of the seniors will graduate with the Advanced Academic with Honors Endorsement on their diplomas)
- 86% going to four-year colleges
- 7% going to two-year colleges
- 7% entering military, working full-time, or taking a “gap year”
- 18% will enroll in 52 different colleges in 20 states outside of Alabama (2 students are attending college overseas)
- Those staying in Alabama will enroll in 22 different colleges and universities
- 11 National Merit Finalists
- 4 National Merit Commended Students
- 1 - Bill and Melinda Gates Scholar
- 67% of the graduates were offered scholarships. The amount offered is more than $33 million dollars and the amount accepted is more than $14 million (also the most in school history).
- The “We the People” Team won the district and state competition for the 15th year in a row and won the Southeast region at nationals.
- All three math teams, again, won their state competition and had the top individual scorer in each category. They also placed first in the Southeastern region in the Mandelbrot competition. During the summer they placed third at the Mu Alpha Theta national convention.
- Approximately 1,144 Advanced Placement Exams were administered to 495 students
- Honor Choir, Show Choir, Men's Choir, AcaFellas, Chanteurs, Ensemble, and Voces Aurea all received superior ratings at Assessment.
- Just Singin’ was the first high school group in Alabama to be selected to sing at the American Choral Directors’ Association’s National Conference in Kansas City, MO.
- Just Singin' and Show Choir both competed at the Contempo Choral Festival and received superior ratings.
Capital City Classic: Division Grand Champion, Best Show Design, Best Visuals and Best Vocals
Diamond Classic: Division Grand Champion, All Division Best Costumes and Best Overall Effect
Southern Showcase: Division Grand Champion, Best Show Design, Best Choreograph, Best Vocals, and Best Solo in a Show (Erin Chatman)
-16 Participants in All-State Choir.
-Just Singin’ invited to be the host choir for the University of Alabama Honor Choir
-World Strides Choral Festival Orlando: Gold Level Awards for Men’s Choir and Women’s Choir. Sweepstakes for Choral Program Award. Adjudicator award for Women’s Choir (95 or higher score). Outstanding Choral Group (top scoring group for the entire weekend) Award. Maestro Award for the quartet.
-Over 70 students participated in the Spring Musical.
-Honor Choir selected to sing at the Alabama Music Educators’ Conference.
- The Rebel Marching Band earned superior ratings at marching band festivals in the fall of 2018. All three Concert Bands received superior ratings at Music Performance Assessment. Seven were selected for the Alabama All-state Band. Four students were selected for the Alabama All-State Orchestra. Seven students were selected for the Alabama All-State Jazz Band. One student was selected to perform with the Music For All Honor Band of America. 10 students were selected for the District IV Honor Band. Several students performed with honor bands at the University of Alabama, Auburn University, Samford University, UAB, and the University of Montevallo.
Vestavia Hills High School has 24 different athletic teams for our male and female students.
18 of our teams qualified for postseason play
-Boys Cross Country, Girls Cross Country, Boys Swimming & Diving, Girls Swimming & Diving, Boys Bowling, Girls Bowling, Boys Basketball, Wrestling, Boys Indoor track, Girls Indoor track, Girls Tennis, Boys Tennis, Baseball, Boys Golf, Girls Soccer, Boys Soccer, Boys Outdoor Track, Girls Outdoor Track
Team State Placement
-Boys Cross Country- 2018 State Runner-up
-Cheer- 2018 State Runner-up
-Boys’ Bowling- 2019 State Champions
-Boys Tennis- 2019 State Champions
-Girls Tennis- 2019 State runner-up
-Boys Outdoor Track- 2019 State runner-up
-Girls Soccer- 2019 State Champions
Individual State Champions (Seniors)
-Pete Dazzio wrestling state champion 170 pounds
-Austin Coggin golf state champ and low medalist
-Gray Moore tennis state champ #5 singles
-Jack Kimbrough tennis state champs #3 doubles
-Elizabeth Ledbetter tennis state champ #6 singles
-Michael Vice selected to take part on the Alabama/Mississippi All-Star football game
-Andrew Manush North-South all-star football game
-Luke Couch honorable mention all-state basketball
Students continuing their athletic careers
-Football- Michael Vice: Samford University, Hunter Salmon: Tennessee; Cooper Bishop: Alabama, Douglas Thompson: Troy
-Baseball- Colton Lewis:JSU
-Girls Golf- Madelyn Nelson, Wallace State-Hanceville
-Girls Soccer- Lizzie Hill: UAB
-Boys Soccer- Johnny Williams: Bethel
-Girls Track- Katherine Ratliff: Auburn
-Boys Track- Jackson Bryant: Navy, Bryce Hutchinson: Purdue
-Softball- Hannah Grace Roden: Rhodes College, Mary Emma Davidson: University of Mobile
-Cheer- Sydney Downes South Alabama
-Girls Swimming- Sydney Nelson: Berry College, Grace Uldrich: Washington University St. Louis
-Boys Bowling- Beau Reed: Spring Hill
-Boys Golf- Austin Coggin: Auburn University
-Girls Golf- Maddie Nelson: Wallace-Hanceville
- RISE stands for Rebels Impact through Service and Engagement. This inaugural year, students lead 8 major events during the spring semester that resulted in raising awareness and $250,678 for the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center. This endeavor was recognized by Varsity Brands as a Top 10 Most Spirited Community Service Project in the nation.
- $45,000 was raised for Vestavia Hills Parks and Rec Foundation Miracle Field Project and 26,000 canned goods were donated.
These are just a few of the many accomplishments of the Class of 2019 at Vestavia Hills High School, continuing a tradition of excellence.