Central’s 4th Annual 5th grade Egg Drop
CAN YOU CREATE A DEVICE THAT WILL PROTECT A RAW EGG FROM BREAKING AS IT FALLS FROM 40 FEET IN THE AIR?
Come test your engineering skills on Wednesday, April 3, in conjunction with the Vestavia Hills Fire Department. We will be “Cracking Up Vestavia” as we drop our devices from the city’s bucket truck.
This is an OPTIONAL activity for ANY 5th grade student interested in participating
See the rules and entry form below and HAPPY DESIGNING!
- Only one entry per student and GOOGLE forms must be submitted ONLINE by no later than April 1. Team entries ARE permitted but a GOOGLE form is required for each participant.
- Eggs will be provided at the drop, BUT you can load one at home beforehand as long as it’s NOT hard boiled. If you’re loading it at school, construct your device with proper access to load an egg. We will have TAPE available but no other materials.
- No styrofoam, bubble wrap, or other pre-made packaging materials including cardboard boxes.
- No glass, gasses, metals, or “splatterable materials” such as Jello, Peanut Butter etc… Use of these materials will result in the inability to drop your device.
- Students participating are encouraged to do research, test design ideas, and construct their device with minimal assistance.
- Students will NOT drop their devices themselves. The eggs will be dropped by the fire department. The device will be lifted to the bucket truck by a pulley/basket system.
- Devices can be no larger than 12 inches on all sides. Devices larger than specified may not fit in the pulley/basket system.
- Egg devices will be categorized as “successful” or “in need of further development.”
This is not a “competition” and no prizes will be awarded other than the satisfaction of success or the information necessary to try again next year. We want kids to feel free to try, fail, or succeed without fear.
- Students will bring their devices the day of the challenge and take them home the same day. Devices will be kept with the student in their classrooms until the drop time.
- Students without a completed online GOOGLE Form cannot participate EVEN if they show up on the day of the drop with a device.
PLEASE CLICK BELOW TO FILL OUT THE ONLINE GOOGLE FORM: